Radiation oncology is the study and treatment of cancer using radiation to control malignant cells.
Radiation therapy services are delivered using state-of-the-art equipment and advanced treatment techniques by exposing malignancies to high doses of x-rays. The radiation therapy department at Covenant Cancer Treatment Center will be the first and only cancer treatment center in the 10-county area surrounding Black Hawk County to have IGRT (Image Guided Radiation Therapy) technology, the newest tool in the fight against cancer. Computerized planning determines the exact radiation dosage from X-rays and CT scans, and a dress rehearsal on the Center’s radiotherapy X-ray simulator ensures that the radiation dose is precisely directed to the tumor during actual treatment. The Center’s advanced equipment provides accurate treatment with pinpoint accuracy to target the tumor sites while minimizing side effects.
Treatment for a variety of malignancies is provided, including but not limited to:
- Bladder,Bone Metastasis, Brain, Breast (including Brachytherapy)
- Central Nervous System, Colorectal
- Gynecological (including Brachytherapy)
- Head & Neck
- Lung, Lymphoma
- Skin Cancer, Soft Tissue (Skin cancers are treated using either a superficial x-ray unit or Megavoltage electrons)
Radiopharmaceutical therapy is available for:
- Hypothyroidism (1-131)
- Thyroid cancer (1-131)
- Bone Metastasis (SR-89) (SM-153)
- Polycythemia Vera (P-32)